There Still May Be A Hint of Life Left
Hi there!! Welcome back.
I had to clear out the cobwebs and dust everything off to get back into my place on the Internet. It’s been a long time, and there were many reasons why this space was so quiet for so long. A cautionary tale to be sure, and one I am happy to share. After ten years in this space, and not really taking off or finding a solid base of readers, I took a couple of blogging courses, and they all said the same thing:
- Find your niche market and focus on that.
- You have to have a product to sell.
- You have to be unique to stand out in an oversaturated market.
- You have to focus on the needs of your customers.
All of this is true, and I was paralyzed creatively because of it.
- How do you market and sell a product on a (mostly) travel blog? (I literally went through hundreds of posts and hid all the ones that weren’t travel related)
- What product could I offer that someone couldn’t find on Amazon?
- There are so many areas of the travel industry that I have personally experienced and have expertise in: traveling solo, traveling as a couple, in a boat, in an RV, within the US, South America, Mexico, Canada, and Europe, how could I just focus on one area?
Because I couldn’t figure out any of this, I just stopped writing. I ignored this space for almost two years because I was stuck.
In addition, the past year has been one of healing, and not traveling. I had rotator cuff repair surgery in June, the Captain had two hips replaced, one in April and one in October, and in January I had bunion removal surgery.
Then I decided to just start writing again, about what I know and love: travel, photography and adventure.
My plan is simple, to post consistently across all of my social media channels.
Hopefully, this will lead to more exposure down the road, and perhaps some opportunities to be a guest blogger on other more well known sites in the future, and then who knows what can happen.
Great adventures coming up ahead.