Traveling the ICW: Coinjock, VA to Wrightsville Beach, NC

IMG_1772LRWednesday, September 30: We have been watching the weather very closely. Tropical Storm Jaoquin had been upgraded to a hurricane and was predicted to make landfall in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast sometime over the weekend. However, heavy rain was forecast for the entire Eastern Seaboard.

IMG_1770LROur plan was to get as far south as possible and as far away from the hurricane as possible. We had originally planned to go from Coinjock to Oriental, NC, but decided to keep going on to Wrightsville Beach, NC, which is on the coast, but not sticking out into the Atlantic like the Outer Banks is.

IMG_1786LRWe left Coinjock at 7:30 a.m., crossed the Albemarle Sound and the Pamlico and Neuse Rivers. The winds were calm, which made for a very smooth ride.

IMG_1788LRIt was really hot and humid.  We stopped for gas in the afternoon to make sure we would have enough to make it to Wrightsville Beach, which was 130 miles from Coinjock._DSC2653LRThe boat averages about 25 mph, sometimes more depending upon how many “no wake zones” we have to go through and how many bridges we have to wait for._DSC2645LRWe passed through my favorite part of the ICW so far, from Morehead City to Cape Fear. The ICW travels right along the ocean, and the water is beautiful. I also saw a dolphin in one of the inlets. I could see myself living in this area at some point in the future._DSC2714LR_DSC2703LR_DSC2689LRWe made it to the Seapath Yacht Club just before closing, and got settled in about 5:45 p.m. The weather forecast heavy rain overnight, so the Captain put on the camper top (like a big tent over and back of the boat, which allows you to stand up and keeps the rain (for the most part) out.IMG_1789LRThe clouds were beginning to roll in.  Dark and ominous storm clouds.  After we took showers, we walked down the street to find a restaurant. We settled on Banks Channel Pub and Grille.  They menu offerings were what you would find in any sports bar and pub.  I ordered a black bean quesadilla and tater tots (which were very good).

We took a cab back to the boat, since it was so humid, neither one of us felt like taking another shower.

Our plan was to evaluate the weather on Thursday and make a decision on whether to stay put in Wrightsville Beach, or if we were going to keep heading south.

This entry was posted in Boating, Portfolio, Travel and tagged , , , , , , .

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *