Traveling the ICW: Norfolk, VA to Coinjock, NC

IMG_1672LRI suppose I should have started the initial ICW post with the following details:  The Captain owns a 31′ powerboat.  Boating is a serious hobby for the Captain, and he has owned several boats, and has been around them most of his life.  Pretty impressive credentials if you ask me.

IMG_1741LRTuesday, September 29th dawned cloudy.  The marine forecast was calling for rain.  We were hoping the rain would hold off (and fortunately it did).  Waterside Marina didn’t have a gas dock, so we had to go across the channel for fuel to Tidewater Yacht Marina.  Gas was $2.81/gallon (fuel is always more expensive at a marina).  We left the gas dock at 9:00 a.m. headed for Coinjock Marina.  We didn’t get very far when we were stopped by the railroad bridge pictured above.  We sat at this railroad bridge for a good 45 minutes, waiting for the train, and then the train went very slow, and even stopped on the tracks for at least 15 minutes.

IMG_1742LRWhile we were waiting for the railroad bridge, we drifted over to the right of the channel, and suddenly this Navy police boat comes speeding up to us (in a no-wake zone), and my big DSLR camera almost falls onto the floor of the boat because of their wake, and yells at us over a loudspeaker that we are in a restricted area and we need to move to the other side of the channel.  Which we promptly did.

imageFinally, the train passes and the bridge opens up.  There were a few more bridges with low clearances that we had to wait for, and then we had to also wait for the Great Bridge Lock.  The lock opens on the hour.  We made the 1:00 p.m. opening.

image image                                                                     In the lock at Great Bridge, Virginia

We allowed a big fishing charter boat, Wound Up, out of Fenwick Island, Delaware to get in front of us at the lock, and then we followed them through Carrituck Sound to Coinjock, NC.

image                                                        Following in the wake of Wound Up.

When it’s rough on the water, following in the wake of a bigger boat means your boat doesn’t get beat up as much, and you experience a much smoother ride, and everyone can appreciate a smooth ride.

We arrived at 3:00 p.m. at Coinjock Marina.  Wound Up stopped briefly, and we thanked them for allowing us to follow in their wake.  They were headed to Florida, and continued on.

image Gabby, the welcoming committee at Coinjock Marina.

We had arranged for dockage for the evening in Coinjock, and we filled up with gas and moved to our slip.  Coinjock Marina is so convenient, and is right on the ICW.  You dock right along the wall, and when you are ready to head out you are right back on the ICW.


Now the weather has captured our attention, and in a HUGE way.  Tropical storm Joaquin was approaching the Bahamas and the projected path had the storm heading towards the mid-Atlantic and Northeast coast later in the week.  To further complicate matters, the weather forecast for the east coast heading south was calling for several days of heavy rain.  We needed to be prepared and in port somewhere beginning Thursday and through the weekend.

Made a reservation in Oriental, NC for Wednesday night.

IMG_1767LRFor dinner, we went to the restaurant at the marina.  I had a delicious caprese salad, and John had the prime rib, which is the restaurant’s signature dish.  You have to “reserve” your prime rib in advance, and it was worth it.  The prime rib was cooked to tender and pink perfection and melted in your mouth (wish I had taken a photo).

Back to the boat, with an eagle eye on the weather.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Close Menu